How can I apply for an academic position at METU?
Send your Resume/CV, list of publications, and letter of intention to the Chairperson of the academic department you wish to join.
The Department Chairperson has shown interest in my application. What happens next?
The Faculty Board will send their proposal and the required documents concerning your application to the Presidency. A commission formed by the Presidency will prepare an evaluation report about your application and present it to the University Executive Board. If the board accepts the proposal, your application will be sent to the Higher Education Council of Turkey for further approval.
What are the required documents that must be sent along with my application?
Most of the required documents and/or forms are in Turkish (some with English captions) and must be filled out in Turkish by the department you are applying to. The documents include:
- Identification Information Form
- Department Request Reason
- List of Publications (Please indicate publications in journals covered by AHCI, SSCI or SCI core indexes.)
- List of institutions in which you have been employed within the last 10 years
- Visa Request Form
- Information Form for Foreign Teaching Staff (Initial Employment)
- Information Form for Foreign Teaching Staff
The forms can be found at http://www.pdb.metu.edu.tr/formlar
What will happen after my application is sent to the Higher Education Council of Turkey?
If the Higher Education Council accepts your application, METU will contact the General Directorate of Security and the Ministry of Finance respectively, for their approval. Once all approvals are received, METU will send you an invitation in which these approvals will also be enclosed. Upon receiving the letter you may contact the nearest Turkish consulate to apply for a visa.
I am already in Turkey and my application has been accepted. What should I do?
Please come to the Academic Appointment Office at the Directorate of Personnel Affairs, located on the 4th floor of the METU Presidency Building. The office personnel will direct and assist you concerning further processes such as obtaining your residency permit, social security number, bank account number, etc. You will also be signing your contract at this office.
I do not know any Turkish. Will I have trouble with communication?
If you do not have a basic knowledge of Turkish, it is advised that you request assistance from your department for translation purposes before coming to the Directorate of Personnel Affairs. Alternatively, if available, Research Assistants employed at Personnel Affairs will act as an interpreter during your visit to the office.
Can I apply for a full-time faculty member position at METU?
International Teaching Staff Members can only be employed on a contractual basis. Only Turkish nationals may be employed as full-time faculty members. You will need to apply for Turkish nationality if you wish to be considered for a full-time faculty member position.
Will METU cover my travel expenses to Ankara?
If your contract period is for at least six months, METU will cover your travel expenses to Ankara at the start of your employment and to your home country at the end of your employment. If your contract period is for one year or more, both your and your spouse’s travel expenses will be covered. Travel expenses are reimbursed based on economy class airfare rates for Turkish Airlines and not on your actual travel expenses.
Please find below the documents you will need for a refund of your travelling expenses:
For your initial trip to Ankara:
1. A document stating that you have begun your duties at the University (to be obtained from the Department Chairperson)
2. A copy of the first page of your passport
3. A copy of your contract
4. A copy of your plane ticket (If you used a one-way ticket, please submit the original)
5. A document obtained from the Turkish Airlines Offices stating their rate of an airfare from your home country to Ankara.
For you return trip from Ankara*:
1. A document stating that you have resigned from your duties at the University
2. A copy of the exit page of your passport
3. A copy of your contract
4. The original plane ticket
5. A document obtained from the Turkish Airlines Offices stating their rate of an airfare from Ankara to your home country.
All documents must be certified by the Department Chairperson.
*Please note that to receive a refund for your return fare you must leave Turkey within one month of the completion of your contract. If you cause the termination of the contract by not returning after going abroad on leave, on assignment, or by desertion of duty, METU will not cover your return expenses.